Thursday, April 19, 2007

My Mini Retreat

I returned tonight from 48 hours away. I spent the first 36 hours with my groom--and it was a wonderful time of reconnection. It was a real treat to get to spoil him for a while. He had no competition for my attention. We were able to have complete conversations. We had nice dinners. It was like the old days--but better. Better because of what the last several years have brought to our life. Better because in addition to the hopeful love we had when we started this ride, we now have seen many of these hopes come to fruition. We have also experienced our share of trials together--and God has used those to solidify our bond.

My hubby had to travel home on a separate flight, so the last 12 hours were spent travelling alone. This quiet time in airports, planes and autos allowed me read A LOT. I am 160 pages into Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas. What an amazing book! There is such a wealth of insight. I dogeared and underlined dozens of passages. I cannot wait to share some of my favorite quotes.

I learned some important lessons in a short time--too tired to write much about it now. But, tonight I returned home just before the childrens' bedtime refreshed, renewed and ready to love my sweet family in a rejuvenated way. The squeals, hugs, kisses, excited chatter and grins were a reminder that many times the best part of going away is coming home!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to have this respite with Ryland.

Perri

Andi said...

So glad you had a nice time! I'm glad you all had some "us" time, and happy that you are back to your family safe and sound.

Renee said...

I agree about the best part of going away is often the part of returning to our children. I'm going to have to look into Sacred Parenting. You've mentioned it so much, I think I should take a hint. :)

Can't wait to hear more about your time away.

Wendy said...

I'm so happy for you, Jen. We all need times like that.

Military Mommy said...

Glad you had a nice visit. You're right - coming home is often a wonderful part of going away.

Enjoy your family and have a great weekend!

Love, Michelle

keri said...

sounds like a wonderful time with ryland...glad you were able to get away together!!

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Sounds like a double blessing -the time away with Ryland and the time cominghome to your babies! Sign me up for one of those type of weekends! *wink*

Erickson 5 said...

Love coming home refreshed and having all three kiddos come running for hugs and kisses. That is teh BEST feeling. Glad you had a great time.
Nicole

Alicia said...

Have you read Sacred Marriage - same author? It's great. My copy is highlighted and dog-eared. We don't have kids yet, but Sacred Parenting will definitely be on the list during pregnancy.

Stephanie said...

I happened upon your blog today and wanted to say what a precious family and testimony you have! Times away to reconnect with our husbands are so important ... glad your time was special. God bless!

Paula said...

How nice to be alone with your husband and self. I do find it weird though. I feel like I should have a toddler hanging on me. Maybe someday it will be natural again. Like when the kids are 30????