Sunday, October 01, 2006

My Funny Boy

P is hilarious. Everything about his affect, the tone and rhythm of his voice, the way his little brain puts things together...is just funny. The best part is he is funny in that I-am-not-even-trying kind of way. I cannot wait to see how this characteristic plays out in his life.

At 2 am when he starts yelling "Mommy, where ARE you?" I know that he will not stop until either a)He wakes up his siblings or b)I come into his room to check on him. Most nights, he's standing in his bed and I can simply say, "P, it is too early. Go back to sleep." He'll repeat, "too early" and lay down and go right back to sleep. Every now and then, I'll be greeted by my sweet boy standing in his crib, holding a blankie in each hand with, as my husband says, "his bags packed and ready to go." On these occasions he says, "Mommy, I go your bed. I want to sleep in YOUR bed." And as much as I know I should not, sleepy-exhausted-not-wanting-to-argue-at-2am Mommy picks him up and cradles him close for the trek downstairs to our room. Last night he had a bad cough & there was a noisy thunderstorm, so I relented to his 2am call.

P is an early bird. So, it came as no surprise when at 6am this morning, in the pitch dark, we were startled awake by him shouting "A-WAKE!!! A-WAKE!!!" Then, one beat later he said, "Sshhhhhhh. Be qu-iet." in exactly the same hushed tone I would. We started giggling and could not fall back asleep. Since my hubby had to get up for morning rounds anyway, he helped P out of our bed and as they were walking out of the bedroom I heard P say, "Mommy needs coffee."

Yes, she does!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little boys are the reason God placed coffee beans on this planet.

Wendy said...

My daughters are both early birds, but just recently they have been sleeping until 7:00 which is wonderful. It used to be 5-5:30 and then it slowly moved to 6:00.

What a cute picture of Parker!

Paulette said...

Just tooooo precious. I love the way you can giggle at 6 am, and meet his needs. I love that. You are Both awesome Parents.

Anonymous said...

I can just picture this- too funny!-Andi

Jenny Quld said...

My little on also knows mummies need for coffee, occasionally he has been know to ask for "Koooffffeee" for himself.

HW said...

My children were always early risers and it is paying off now. At ages 12 and 15, they never have to be told to get out of bed for school. They both get up on their own and it makes for much easier mornings.

Paula said...

Precious. I found your blog through Amanda. You children a beautiful and your story is very touching. Thank you for sharing.

Teresa said...

i love hearing the little things they say. I know it's right around the corner for me and I can't wait. This is truly the best age!

Anonymous said...

How funny he is. I love it that they are talking now - I'm looking forward to a lot more of these posts.

Perri

Laura said...

This made me laugh! What a sweet boy.

Alison said...

I love having my bed to myself, but I also enjoy the random midnight visits from Sam. He just squeezes in and goes right back to sleep. I should add that I don't mind my husband being in the bed...but you know what I mean!

primarycolors said...

Hey Jen-
Thanks for your sweet note! I do a little work in my downstairs office as a freelance illustrator. Alot of different things come across my path but my main clients are Southern Progress (they use my work in Southern Living-garden plans, house illus, etc, Cottage Living and Custom Publishing- which could be anything and everything. I do hand illustrations and computer illustrations. I LOVE my life because I can do my work anytime during the day (or night)- the flexibility is awesome. I have also started doing oil portraits- I'll have to email you a sample of one I just finished. I studied in NYC for a bit when Macey was little. I think that is really what I will end up doing but it might have to wait until the babies are in school.
AND- to stay on topic...Parker is so funny! Although you know there is nothing like a sleepy snuggle with a sweet baby at night.
:) Robin

Erickson 5 said...

My little Aimee loves to come into our bed and often has her "bags" packed in the middle of the night. I often give in to her as I am always way to sleepy to argue. It is amazing how much our kids have in common. Loved this blog...